Friday Notices: [08.12.11]

Friday Notices are very simple. By design. They involve Friday. Every Friday. The every part is important.

Also they involve setting aside a specific time to pay very close attention to the things you hear and see and feel, etc. Tangible things. Sensory things.

And then you record your observations. It’s not important to judge or analyze or comment on what you saw. Just recognize it and set it down somewhere. For instance:

• Step #1. Go on a walk.
  • Step #2. Notice things.
  • Step #3. Document the notices! (Like, here. In the comments section.)

Note: Step #2 and Step #3 are always the same. Step #1 can pretty much be anything — and everything, for that matter; Step #1 could be “Live” or “Dream” or “Bake a cake” — though taking a walk really is one of the very best ways to engage in Friday Notices. Just FYI.

21 thoughts on “Friday Notices: [08.12.11]

1. Antoinette the Fabulous August 12, 2011 / 7:19 pm

The sickly sweet smell of Acai Mango tea, seeping from my shirt, into my skin and curling into my nose.

2. daughteroftheclayr August 12, 2011 / 7:20 pm

I tend to mostly look at how long people were alive in cemeteries. I of course noticed the time traveler that Ryan was pointing out and then I also noticed a man named Thomas Wade Porter who was exactly 30 and lived from 1867 to 1897.

3. Jasmine J August 12, 2011 / 7:20 pm

Jasmine Jones noticed…

a green R on some of the trees in the graveyard
    a tombstone with JONES on it
    and a tombstone with LISK on it.

4. sophia August 12, 2011 / 7:21 pm

There were 10 odd colored bricks in one part of a red bricked grave.

5. Ryan August 12, 2011 / 7:22 pm

1. a punched in car
    2. a loose brick
    3. a mistake on a tombstone

6. Lauren Harris August 12, 2011 / 7:22 pm

When walking with Jasmine, we found two ‘underground’ name plaques and we dug them out. And the one I dug out was a woman named Callie Lee. And it was next to her husband Robert L. Lee’s plaque. Robert’s plaque seemed brand new, and wasn’t buried. But Callie’s was buried under the ground even though she died ten years AFTER her husband.

7. Jessica August 12, 2011 / 7:23 pm

“I am not dead, but only sleeping until Jesus comes.”

6 McAllen graves, all next to each other (Our Mother, Our Father)

How the writing on the boxed tombstones is obviously inverted, but gets thinner at the sides as it goes down. Like a funnel or something.

8. Amanda August 12, 2011 / 7:23 pm

1| Half-foot square. All it said was “Y”– one headstone nearby said Yeilding, so I thought maybe it was a marker for the alphabetized plot, but it would be a little sadistic to sanction off parts of a cemetery, a little like letter-prejudice.

2| There were two pillar headstones behind the Due (aka Juliette the Timelord) family vault. Because of the roots of the tree, the husband’s was leaning against the wife’s. They were both 22.

3| I ran a branch across the iron gate above the containing wall of the cemetery and thought about the last time I did something like that. It had been too long.

9. Jasmine W. August 12, 2011 / 7:23 pm

Noticed that on one of the masoleums the words, “I know,” were white; however the following words “my Redeemer liveth” had turned black over time. Also, there were a lot of little blocks with the initials: C.S.A.

10. TJB August 12, 2011 / 7:23 pm

There was a black sock. Balled up. In the fence of the Exemus Imports Auto Service.

Also the sky was the color the sky is when it’s August and 2 o’clock in the afternoon in Birmingham, Alabama. Ozone blue. Or something.

Also someone who is buried near the entrance of the Oak Hill cemetery has/had “Due” for a middle name.

11. teacups August 12, 2011 / 7:24 pm

I noticed they cut down a tree in the cemetery, graffiti-d a big, green “R” on it. R for what?

• Amanda August 12, 2011 / 7:34 pm

WHO ARE YOU

• Antoinette the Fabulous August 12, 2011 / 7:50 pm

Seriously, who is this?

12. Liam Bradley August 12, 2011 / 7:24 pm

The gate looks like it might have been a nice dark green colour at some point but has since faded and rusted. A lot of the tombstones have been replaced by new, legible ones which I thought was interesting. There was also a charred tree that had been cut down into sections. Lightning, perhaps?

13. Dakotah August 12, 2011 / 7:25 pm

All footsteps souns different.
    A tall grave with Porter etched in.
    Grass covering part of William’s name and his grave.

14. Adriane August 12, 2011 / 7:26 pm

On the way there, there was a sign that said, “Please! Please! Don’t park here or your vehicle will be towed!” It was as if the sign were begging you not to park your car, but then threatening you at the same time.

15. Ceri-Lune August 12, 2011 / 7:27 pm

Ceri-Lune noticed:

a tree cut down with a graffiti-d “R” on it.
    a red brick grave.
    that even when the gates are locked, there is easy entrance to the cemetery since the corner has no fence, and a low wall.

16. Carmen August 12, 2011 / 7:29 pm

I noticed that the lovely aroma of baking bread was missing, which is odd because I usually smell it when we take a trip to the cemetary or when I’m outside waiting to go home. THAT bread smell reminds me of THAT CEMETARY. Without it, it was a little difficult to take my time and smell the roses…errrr….bread? Maybe it only smells that way on certain days? or at certain times? hm.

17. teacups August 12, 2011 / 7:35 pm

Don’t worry guys.

• Jasmine White August 12, 2011 / 7:41 pm

this answer brings me discomfort.