I know: you could…
….Write a Seven-Sentence Scene/Story:
- Write a line of action that places two characters in a setting.
- Write a line of action where one of your characters does something to establish tension, either between the two characters or between the two characters and their surroundings.
- Write a line of dialogue for the other character that further escalates the tension.
- Write a line of dialogue for the first character, escalating the tension.
- Introduce another character into the scene.
- Bring the tension to a climax.
- Bring the climax to a resolution.
….Write a long poem that tells a story.
….Write a 1-2 page short-short that tells a…poem? joke? story? all/none of the above?
….Invite the Osmosis:
- Circle three cool words in either Dennigan’s or Kelly’s poem. Use those three words in a poem of your own.
….Address the reader directly.
….Write a story with one of these one-word titles:
….Write a fictional to-do list (or it could be an actual one, I guess), that implies a story.
….Start a story or poem with an actual Birmingham landmark:
- Kelly Ingram Park
- 16th Street Baptist Church
- YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL graffiti
- The Five Points fountain
….Write a short autobiographical essay of no more than 750 words. Be specific and don’t try to encapsulate your entire life story. Instead, focus on an object? a rite of passage? a specific place? that conveys something essential about you.