7 thoughts on “Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About 1980…

1. sophia August 24, 2011 / 7:14 pm

Global Events:

|1| Regan becomes president of the United States-Republicans control the senate
    |2| John Lennon is shot.
    |3 Terrorists seize the Iranian Embassy in London, and five people are killed in rescue raid.
    |4| Soviets and Mujaheddin guerrillas clash in Afghanistan after Soviet invasion.
    |5| Sweden changes to the Swedish Act of Succession make Princess Victoria of Sweden Crown Princess and therefore next in line to the throne, ahead of her younger brother.
    |6| In Saudi Arabia, 63 Muslim fanatics are beheaded for their part in the siege of the Great Mosque in Mecca in November, 1979
    |7| FBI personnel target members of the Congress of the United States in a sting operation
    |8| Mafioso Angelo Bruno is murdered in Philadelphia.
    |9| A Dan-Air Flight 1008 crashes in Tenerife, killing all 146 occupants and marking the worst air disaster involving a British-registered aircraft in terms of loss of life.
    |10| Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back is released.
    |11| Iraqi troops invade Iran, Iran-Iraq war begin.

2. sophia August 24, 2011 / 7:30 pm

the 1980’s seemed pretty hectic. however, it also seemed like a lot of steps were taken to go into the future. it also seemed like the time was pretty unhealthy, judging by how, in france, at least, everyone smoked. in 1980, smoking was still allowed in airplanes. you would sit down in a cloud of smoke, and there would be cigrettes everywhere. i would have thought it dangerous.

in america, many things seemed to become extremely popular. for example, the grimlin (a car). it was very popular among highschoolers. fashion, as well, seemed distinct. walkmans (do those count as fashion?) were in. parachute pants. boxers were becoming a huge hit, as were nike shoes, which had just come out, or at least discovered, and overalls. i’m not sure if mr. leonard was joking or not, but apparently, with zippers on the overalls, you kept it closed if you were taken, half open if you were single, and open if you were desperate. colors were also big, and tube socks and short shorts (for both sexes.)

but that was only in america. in belgium, grease and blondie were in, and knee high boots, along with skinny jeans.

it was also different in france. in france, jeans were frowned upon, in school. conservative girls would wear straight A skirts. bell bottoms were also popular. and for some odd reason, levi’s were huge. i mean, HUGE.

but the army seemed to be huge in america, especially. the people i talked to said that army games were a big part of the games played by kids. i think that had something to do with G. I. Joe.

and back then, arcades were popular. you couldn’t play video games at home, so arcades and gas stations (which usually had a small arcade as well) were the big hang out, especially in america.

honestly, i think the 1980’s were interesting, to say the least. it seems like everyone was trying to find their place, and a lot of fighting was going on, especially in iraq and iran. i think the most interesting thing about it all are the fads, because there is so much that was popular then.

|sophia|

3. Carmen August 24, 2011 / 7:48 pm

Music/TV/Movies

(TV)

Dallas was the top rated show
    Other popular shows:
    60 minutes
    Alice
    three’s company
    M*A*S*H
    Dukes of Hazard
    The Jeffersons
    Little House on the Prairie
    Different Strokes
    The Love Boat

BET began as a block of programming on Nickelodeon
    CNN began broatcasting

Blue Lagoon
    star Wars Episode V: the empire strikes back
    Smokey and the Bandit II
    The Fog
    The Final Count down
    Xanadu

Best actor: Robert De Niro (Raging Bull)
    Best Actress: Sissy Spacek (Coal Miner’s Daughter)

4. Liam August 24, 2011 / 7:57 pm

In 1980, bulky shoulder pads became popularized by the TV show Dynasty. They were worn often by women in the workplace as a way of showing they had equal power to that of their male counterparts. The post punk influence of the late 70s continued with a few twists. Messy, teased hair along with streaky heavy eyeliner. Ripped, acid wash jeans and t shirts along with the popular Doc Marten’s boots (my dad has told me that I need these on several occasions). Among the preppier styles, one could see more conservative teens wearing argyle patterned sweaters, pastel polos and a pair of khakis. Valley girls could be seen with headbands, tube tops, miniskirts, as well as colourful (sometimes clashy) legwarmers.

All in all, 1980 was a continuation of the late 70s trends. But with many musical and media influences these styles began to transform and would continue to evolve throughout the decade.

5. Liam August 24, 2011 / 8:11 pm

1980 built upon the changes of the 1970s. The economic depression of the early 80s changed economics to a more liberal standard. More women began to work and leave the nuclear family ideal behind. Men’s roles in society were also less rigid but did not change as much as women’s did. These are the basics.

I think living in the year 1980 at the age I am now would’ve been very different. I live in a world full of media and it just was not like that back then. You might have three channels and a cable channel if you were lucky. I know for a fact that my six year old mom had no TV at the time. My dad who was ten had the three channels. Kids spent their time outdoors as parents did not fear they would be kidnapped or run over. I think the world would’ve seemed a lot bigger back then. Maybe you would get to write a pen pal at school but other than that you just didn’t have immediate access to communicate with anyone like we do now.

I think that because my parents were of Generation X that I have been influenced by them and therefore by the times that they lived in. I can see sometimes how I talk like my parents or think the same things they do and it makes me wonder if I am really all that different than the generation before me. I’m not sure I really know the answer for certain.

6. Carmen August 24, 2011 / 8:13 pm

What can I say about 1980?

….Honestly, not much.

Some people say that the 80s started before 1980 and that the fashion and TV shows and the overall funky 80s movement started maybe around the early 70s.

It seems to me that during the “80s” people had a lot more free time on their hands and pop culture really took off and people began to express themselves wildly and loudly and beautifully in public. I think that Americans had a strong sense of pride, knowing and feeling and celebrating the growth of the nation and its freedoms.

Personally, I loved the family sitcoms during the 80s. (Cosby show, sanford and son, three’s company, all in the family, etc…) Many are still very popular today and/or on the verge of a comeback. TV and music during that time represents a more “classic” America….to me, anyway.