Friday Notices: [08.26.11]

It’s Friday. That must mean noticing. And documenting. (Wait a minute: we’re writers: every day means noticing and documenting. Yay!)

So the first Friday Notices meant we went on a walk.

The next one meant we remembered stuff.

This time let’s close our eyes (figuratively if not literally) and listen. To some funky stuff you might not listen to on your own. Or maybe you would. I don’t know.

As per usual, pay particular attention to the senses. The dominant one will, of course, be sound. This time, though, let yourself get synesthetic if you feel so moved.

Are there specific, tangible sights, textures, tastes, smells this music conjures up?

If, for instance, listening to this music caused me to see and smell honeysuckles, I’d write in the comments section below:

“Bright white honeysuckles against the blue field of sky. Thick sweet smell.”

Something like that.

Or you can just really focus on sound. Whatever.

Aim for three notices in the comments section.

16 thoughts on “Friday Notices: [08.26.11]

1. sophia August 26, 2011 / 6:56 pm

it was black and red and gray
    then just black
    and then orange and yellow and black

2. Laura August 26, 2011 / 6:57 pm

There are large rocks on the cliffs, with waves that are the color of night. And then there is a train going through tunnels across the green mountains. It’s loud and it’s going fast. The view tastes bittersweet like grey and gold. And then there are blue strobe lights. They are all around and everywhere. And I look like a picture book. My mind hurts. It tastes like cough syrup. And I only want it to go away.

3. Jessica August 26, 2011 / 7:01 pm

The sound reminds me of a scene in a nature documentary, where storm clouds are rolling across flat lands. Is that crazy?

ASFA music recitals.

Movie credits or previews.

4. Jasmine J August 26, 2011 / 7:02 pm

it reminded me of Ciskei, an African village disappearing. Like the song showed how the village wiped out.

then i thought of space and floating aimlessly.

lastly…there were Irish sheep in my head…

5. tjbeitelman August 26, 2011 / 7:02 pm

Um. Well:

“Bright white honeysuckles against the blue field of sky. Thick sweet smell.”

A viking ship and sea spray. LOTS of sea spray. Soaking sea spray.

The dark, red inside of an ear.

Also: a sweat-soaked shirt.

6. Lo August 26, 2011 / 7:03 pm

-is a flight over Irish landscape.
    -is sitting in a white room, having psychedelic hallucinations.
    -is a burly mountain boar, falling from a cliff.

7. Dakotah August 26, 2011 / 7:03 pm

Gray and soft and quiet and blury, out of focus.
    Then there’s oak trees.
    And a gray staircase where you can hear people’s footsteps echo.
    And locusts.
    And a sound that reminds me of when my dad starts the lawn mower. And I remember the smell of cut grass.

8. Adriane August 26, 2011 / 7:04 pm

1. A forest in Ireland during spring with butterflies and birds everywhere
    2. Leaves falling during autumn in a graveyard
    3. Huge army tanks barreling by a young child on a dusty, unpaved street during war

9. Amanda August 26, 2011 / 7:04 pm

the last few seconds before the tesla coil was turned on.
    a fear of heights and the st. ivan rilski’s chapel, colder than ever.
    broken glass.
    off-yellow light bulb in the basement, flickering.

10. Liam August 26, 2011 / 7:05 pm

There is a woman in a long black dress that drapes behind her on the ground. At first she is just walking in a forest. All is calm and you can feel a slight breeze. Then, she begins to run and sky is a a violent crimson shade of red. The trees and leaves are black and seem to melt away before her like lava. I could taste som

11. beautyiskey August 26, 2011 / 7:05 pm

Wind sliding over my shoulders
    Water sliding over rocks
    Sharp sour tastes

12. Liam August 26, 2011 / 7:06 pm

ething bitter. Like black coffee.

13. Carmen August 26, 2011 / 7:06 pm

Macalania woods. Dark. the silence of snow. the blue twinkling of an eye

tradiitional korean music. lanterns enclosed in petals. warm tan. …..asian bagpipes?

thunder plains. behemoth.

14. Jasmine W. August 26, 2011 / 7:08 pm

I saw really distinct images while listening to it. At first it seemed kind of mysterious. I saw this like door that was cracked open, and I wanted to open it, but was hesitant to. Then the music was kind of sorrowful, what you would play after someone has just found out they lost someone. Then it seemed intimate. I saw a young couple talking in a very dimly lit room. Then it was kind of Asian Zen Garden. When the drums kicked in, I saw a room crowded with wild people. Lastly, I had a very distinct image of a confused man running through traffic. Yeah, my imagination is kind of out there.

15. Jay B. August 26, 2011 / 7:12 pm

A train crashing at top speed across a turbulent landscape.
    A star going supernova in deep space with nothing in sight for thousands of light-years.
    The deep sanded wood floor of a pavilion in summer.