Friday Notices: [09.02.11]

We’ve got us a veritable smorgasbord of activities today. Some of us are headed to the Who Shot Rock & Roll exhibit at the Birmingham Museum of Art. Maybe some of us are headed to 2nd Avenue with Ms. Rinke-Hammer and her class. And some of us will be staying here. So here’s your noticing options.

• Three notices about the Rock & Roll exhibit.
  • Three notices about the 2nd Avenue trip.
  • Three obscure inanimate objects in the room.
  • Three great sentences from the book you’re reading.
  • Any combination of the above.

The comments section awaits.

17 thoughts on “Friday Notices: [09.02.11]

1. Jasmine J September 2, 2011 / 5:15 pm

the Zoe’s Kitchen mug on Mr. Beitelman’s desk

the wood sculpture above my cubicle

the dollar bill on the wall beside me.

2. Amanda September 2, 2011 / 5:37 pm

Outtathaway! was one of the first albums I ever listened to all the way through. I could reenact the video from memory. I remember watching an interview with Craig explaining the part where the girl comes up to hug him and he throws her off his shoulder. Lazy eye. Facial expressions.

John and Yoko in Bed: taken on my birthday, fourteen years early.

“No one’s guts really look like that. They’re sausages with shaving cream on them.” — stills from Death Valley ’69

Kurt Cobain’s tears, Sex Pistols and Carlsberg beers, Ian McKey and Ian Curtis and Morrisey.

• Amanda September 2, 2011 / 5:41 pm

**Outtathaway! was from Highly Evolved. I don’t know why it ate that part of my comment.

3. Liam September 2, 2011 / 6:10 pm

The Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves album cover on the wall.

The video with the guy whose eyes went all over the place and his green hoodie.

The picture in the art gallery with the blond girl that I haven’t taken a close look at yet. I notice it every time I pass by.

4. Laura September 2, 2011 / 6:11 pm

1. My cat smells like summertime. Like cotton shirts and hot asphalt.
    2. How empty sunshine can be.
    3. A small leaf blew across my windshield while I was driving to school and it scared the living bejesus out of me.

5. sophia September 2, 2011 / 6:12 pm

i seemed to like the casual pictures the best, like john and yoko in bed, and the one where R.E.M was eating barbecue.

the lights that are plugged in, but hidden in the space between adrianes and mr. beitelmans desk

jessicas plaque, where there are two strips of paper saying fox- and butter, instead of dog- and fire hydrant.

• Antoinette September 2, 2011 / 6:27 pm

Third one was meeeee

6. Lauren September 2, 2011 / 6:12 pm

I noticed that the more you think about the sun, the hotter it gets.
    People in down town Birmingham stare at you a lot.
    Every one looked rather sad.
    Old white businessmen and a lot of hipsters flocked to urban standard today.

7. Jasmine W. September 2, 2011 / 6:13 pm

There were pigeons laying eggs at the park.

People downtown seem to stare….a lot.

The Redmont Hotel smells different than the rest of the buildings downtown.

(2nd Avenue Trip)

8. Dakotah September 2, 2011 / 6:15 pm

photos of debbie harry. senior citizens looking at a portrait of marilyn manson. the clack of grace jone’s heels on video.
    john lennon saying he liked the photo (john and yoko in bed) because it, “brings out yoko’s beauty”

9. tjbeitelman September 2, 2011 / 6:15 pm

The pairing of the Pete Townsend picture (him, chin on a beer bottle, and those crazy pale-blue eyes he’s got, gazing at the console [is that even what that’s called?] in the studio) above the Dylan picture of him in Liverpool, cobblestone street, three little kids in the middle ground.

Tupac’s “Thug Life” tattoo across his midriff, the top bar of the T interrupting/intersecting the top-left part of the H.

The pixelated red-yellow-blue dots on the magazine cover of David Lee Roth.

10. Adriane September 2, 2011 / 6:19 pm

Debbie Harry from Blondie seemed to be all over the exhibit- I think she might have been the most featured.

Most of the artists from that time period that I listen to (Journey, Bon Jovi, The Eagles, Rick Springfield) weren’t featured at all. The Police had one picture though, so that made up for it.

In the huge photo of the Madonna concert, there were people hanging upside down from the bars above the stage.

11. Carmen September 2, 2011 / 6:21 pm

1. Some $20 bills aren’t exactly the same length…..and I was very worried because I thought I had a counterfeit bill….

2. Elvis’ hair moved much more than I thought it would.

3. Grunge fashion, urban backgrounds, tilted cobblestone….

4. Flip-phones existed in 2000? whaaaaaaat? I forgot.

12. Jesica September 2, 2011 / 6:24 pm

So okay I love the The Bell Jar so here we go:
    “This fig tree grew on a green lawn between the house of a Jewish man and a convent, and the Jewish man and a beautiful dark nun kept meeting at the tree to pick the ripe figs, until one day they say an egg hatching in a bird’s nest on a branch of the tree, and as they watched the little bird peck its way out of the egg, they touched the backs of their hands together, and then the nun didn’t come out to pick figs with the Jewish man any more but a mean-faced Catholic kitchen maid came to pick them instead and counted up the figs the man picked after they were both through to be sure he hadn’t picked any more than she had, and the man was furious.”
    “All the time she talked to me, I saw Mr. Manzi standing on thin air in back of Jay Cee’s head, like something conjured up out of a hat, holding is little wooden ball and the test tube that billowed a great cloud of yellow smoke the day before Easter vacation and smelt of rotten eggs and made all the girls and Mr. Manzi laugh.”
    “Buddy’s head hung over me, near and huge, like a distracted planet.”

13. Antoinette September 2, 2011 / 6:25 pm

At Urban Standard: The older couple behind me discussing what they would order, and then the man ordering the same thing as I did, pimento BLT and curry carrot coconut soup. Except I got mine without bacon, and he got bacon with his.

At What’s On 2nd?:A necklace made out of walnut shells, painted red and green and not painted at all. And slices of a hollow branch.

On the road: A man with a very neatly groomed curled mustache and a full beard, with rather dirty clothes. He had three hug dogs, one had bright blue eyes, the other with sharp brown eyes. I’m not sure what kind of dogs they were, maybe mutts with boxer in them, but they were up to his waist.

14. Ryan September 2, 2011 / 6:29 pm

From what’s on second:

1) A bunch of keys dangling from thread on a shelf
    2) a collection of old medical diagrams
    3) dusty perfume bottles

15. Jay B. September 2, 2011 / 6:33 pm

A red lamp in the corner of someone’s cubicle.

A button on the wall which says “push to call”.

A red stain on the wall by the door.