Friday Notices: [09.09.11]

Of we go a-gallery-ing. We shall:

• peruse the current ASFA gallery exhibition…
  • notice things…
  • document the noticings in the comments section below!

Note: we won’t have time to properly linger. Instead, allow yourself to be drawn to a particular piece (or related pieces) and really try to zero in on the details. Think textures, brushstrokes, lines, etc. — look intently at the multifaceted surfaces of these notice-worthy things.

17 thoughts on “Friday Notices: [09.09.11]

1. Jay B. September 9, 2011 / 7:01 pm

There were blocks on the large piece of Liza’s which seemed to be painted on somehow.

When I backed up the combination of the blocks and the direction of the brush strokes made me feel like I was looking down into a set of rooms.

Much of the art in the gallery (including the stuff that looked like it was going to be traditional painting) had a lot of textural playing going on.

• tjbeitelman September 9, 2011 / 7:11 pm

Textural playing — such as…?

2. Laura September 9, 2011 / 7:01 pm

1. white boxes have shadows of glass
    2. three kids walking into the skyline
    3. falling grey bubbles

• tjbeitelman September 9, 2011 / 7:10 pm

This is haiku-like.

3. Lauren September 9, 2011 / 7:02 pm

1. When I saw a peice in the corner, I thought of the movie inception even before I began to study it carefully.
    2. I peice that was up last year, wasn’t constructed in the way that I thought.
    3. I take greater pleasure in seeing the displayed artwork of my personal friends, rather than everyone. (Not to say that they weren’t good and all, but I didn’t get the same proud sensation.)

• tjbeitelman September 9, 2011 / 7:10 pm

How was the piece constructed differently than you thought?

4. Amanda September 9, 2011 / 7:03 pm

Forty-two screws; the rest were nails. Twenty-seven wood blocks. Gray, brown, sepia, black, white, gloss. Silhouettes and photographs.

[sic] “Train Employes: Conductor…….WILSON” (signed in cursive, pencil).

Union County, Georgia (drilled through with a screw, but still visible).

• tjbeitelman September 9, 2011 / 7:09 pm

Counting! I LOVE counting!

5. Antoinette September 9, 2011 / 7:05 pm

Bubbles that looked like puckered skin
    Brush strokes peaking then falling, rising, then sinking buck into the art work
    Entering a wooden square, trapped by boiling skin

6. Jasmine W. September 9, 2011 / 7:06 pm

In the piece where the walmart-lady was checking the receipt:

1. Her nametag was blank.
    2. The drink machine in the corner only charged 5 cents.

In Walker Yancey’s piece with the crazy colors:

3. the cardboard was two different textures, smooth and crinkled.

7. tjbeitelman September 9, 2011 / 7:06 pm

These are notices re: Greg Young’s pyramid sculpture:

..clear glue joints binding (what appear to be) three tiny metal bars into a tiny metal triangle..

..and then hundreds of these triangles bound to three other triangles to make a tiny pyramid (which is bound to other tiny pyramids, and so on…) and the sometimes-gossamer thin strands of glue (or are they spider webs?) strung from here to there, sometimes for distances longer than you would expect..

..shadows and how the shadows of these tiny bars-triangles-pyramids made the whole sculpture darker (and even denser) toward the bottom even though all the component parts were the same shiny shade of silver..

8. Adriane September 9, 2011 / 7:06 pm

The word “God” boxed in with pen.

The tree in the person’s pelvis.

The newspaper beneath the paint.

9. Dakotah September 9, 2011 / 7:06 pm

Bubble wrap, yellow legal pad paper, clear plastic music sheets
    words “you are my safe place” “disapprove” “arms arms arms”
    layers and envelopes

10. Liam September 9, 2011 / 7:07 pm

My piece of focus was on the portrait of the crosseyed woman by Tony Urdiales who recently passed away. All of his pieces were very dark and unsettling. This one was no exception. While at first it looks a bit humorous in nature you come to feel uneasy. Her wild hair and crazed eyes begin to feel less comical. I noticed how the brushstrokes were not very precise. This added to the affect of the picture. I also noticed how the pictures must have been in storage somewhere because they were very grimy when you looked close up. The farther I walked away from the picture the clearer it became but this also made it seem less unsettling. I asked Mister Hill about Tony and all he told me was that he was “a very dark person”. And, to be honest I still feel a bit uneasy…

11. Jesica September 9, 2011 / 7:10 pm

Paint so thick I’d think it would still be wet.

Torn pieces of paper that I really want to see the back of.

I could see each bristle of each paintbrush.

12. Ryan September 9, 2011 / 7:23 pm

Strong things held together by weak things. Steel sewn by yarn.

Atoms piled on atoms piled on glass.

I wonder how many hours per square inch.

13. sophia September 9, 2011 / 7:39 pm